Monday, January 5, 2009

I've lost an old friend.....

In my quest for a healthier me, I've had to make some changes. What I eat, the quantity I eat and of course what I drink. I grew up in a house where pop (soda to the rest of you oddballs) was the main thing in the house. Water was just something that you cooked pasta in, or cooked with in some regard. Pop was for drinking.

You were never far from a plethora of soda choices no matter which relatives house you went to. And it wasn't uncommon to sit down and drink 3-4 cans at a time. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's when I really discovered my soon to be best friend Coke. No, not the imported stuff from our South American friends, I'm speaking of Coca-Cola. Black gold...Atlanta tea!

Working long hours in a hot sweaty print shop, you were always thirsty and luckily we happened to have a small store just across the street. In a normal day, we'd run over to the store each morning, and grab a two liter of coke. That would last for an eight hour shift. 67.62 ounces of carbonated sugary goodness. It was a taste a grew to love and I seldom went a day in the last 15 years without it. Until now...

I've given up my old friend Coke. With this change for a healthier me and the days of ingesting an entire days worth of calories in soda alone behind me, I'm left struggling for a good replacement. And since Diet soda is more likely to pickle my gizzards in a chemical soup, I think I'll just stick to that stuff that my family cooks pasta in.

Buona notte e sogni d'oro!

3 comments:

nonna said...

you're stronger than i. especially since my nutritionist allowed me one coke a day! lol i really like her. oh, and my weird family calls all pop/soda coke. mom would ask us what we wanted to drink and we would reply coke. then she would ask what kind. invariably i would reply with sprite. i know, we were weird.

p.s. - it seems to be polite bloggy behavior to comment a reply to each comment you receive. unless, of course you have a gazillion followers and then you seem to be exempt from the replies. go figure.

wow! an actual real word for my verification: grated ...hmmm did you plan that? am i grating on your nerves? yes? good, then my goal is accomplished :)

seashore subjects said...

You can do it honey!

ps: reply to nonna - she's maing me crazy!

WeaselMomma said...

There's always light beer to supplement the water.